UCLA is one of the top producing institutions of Fulbright U.S. Student Program recipients.
If you are interested in traveling abroad for study or research in 2020-2021, plan to attend a Fulbright information session. There are two Fulbright programs available. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is for all graduating seniors and graduate students in all fields and is administered for the U.S. Department of State by the Institute of International Education (IIE). The next competition will be for the 2020-2021 cycle. The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Program is for doctoral candidates in foreign language or area studies to conduct dissertation research, administered by the U.S. Department of Education (USEd). The next competition will be for the 2020-2021 cycle, pending funding availability.
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Information Sessions (lunch will be provided):
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Information Sessions (click the link to RSVP; food will be provided):
- Seminar: Wednesday October 16, 12:30 – 2:00, Kaplan 348
- Seminar: Thursday October 24, 9:30 – 11:00, Kaplan 348
- Seminar: Thursday October 31, 12:30 – 2:00, Moore 1048
- Seminar: Wednesday November 6, 12:30 – 2:00, Kaplan 348
- Seminar: Thursday November 14, 9:30 – 11:00, Kaplan 348
- Seminar: Wednesday November 20, 2:30 – 4:00, Boyer 130
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Writing Workshops:
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Pre-Application Webinar:
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Writing Workshop:
Fulbright U.S. Student
- must be a U.S. citizen at time of application
- hold a BA degree or equivalent before the award begins
- good health
- Application Opens: TBA
- Fulbright Application Portal is open for registration
- Statement Deadline (optional): August 3, 2020
- Campus Deadline: TBA
- We strongly recommend applying through UCLA
- Submit your application on the Fulbright Application Portal and turn in the application checklist with the consent to publish form
- All application components must be submitted to be eligible for the campus interview
- Campus Interviews- September 21 to September 25
- Campus interviews usually lasts around 20 minutes
- A campus committee evaluation form will be filled out for each student who participates in an interview
- Final Campus Deadline: TBA
- This is the last and final deadline for those who participated in the campus interviews
- You must submit your application one more time on the Fulbright Application Portal
- National Deadline: TBA
Helpful Resources and Links
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Application Checklist and Consent to Publish Form
- Both forms must be filled out and returned Graduate Division’s Fellowship and Financial Services by the campus deadline
- Either email to email@example.com or bring the forms to 1228 Murphy Hall by the campus deadline
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Application Tips
- General information and tips for each section in the Fulbright application
- Can only be viewed by the UCLA community
Fulbright U.S. Student Program E-Application
Fulbright U.S. Student Program website
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Recent Awardee Profiles
You may come to Graduate Division’s Fellowship and Financial Services Office at 1228 Murphy Hall to view the following samples:
- Project Proposals
- Personal Statements
- Affiliation letters
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Campus Coordinator at UCLA
Fellowships and Financial Services
1228 Murphy Hall
Fellowship Proposal Resources
Follow Us At
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Applicants
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at time of application
- be advanced to doctoral candidacy before your award begins
- be prepared to conduct dissertation research in modern languages and area studies; projects should deepen research knowledge on and help the nation develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in US curricula. Projects in the US and its territories will not be considered. Western Europe is possible only with connection to a country of another region.
- be proficient in the language(s) necessary to carry out your research
- planning a teaching career in the U.S. upon completion of doctoral program
- There is a competitive preference for research projects conducted in the field of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, computer science, education (comparative or international), international development, political science, public health, or economics.
- TBA for 2020 (expected early winter)
- TBA for 2020
Fulbright-Hays Ineligible Countries
List of required documents for submitting a complete application to the Fulbright Campus Coordinator.
Fulbright-Hays Application Tips
General information and tips for each section in the Fulbright application. Can only be viewed by the UCLA community.
Fulbright-Hays G5 Application Submission Overview
Overview for starting the Fulbright-Hays application.
Fulbright-Hays Scoring Criteria Packet
Can only be viewed by the UCLA community.
For inclusion in the campus review, please submit your application, project narrative, bibliography, and CV by the Campus Application Deadline. Revisions, official transcripts, language references, faculty references, and letters of affiliation must be submitted by the Final Campus Deadline.
Please note that the e-application website is only available for limited periods. Please reference the maintenance schedule on the e-application website.
Grant period: October 1, 2020 – March 31, 2022
Fulbright-Hays Current Awardee Profiles
You may schedule an appointment to view the following samples:
- Project Descriptions
- Letters of Affiliation
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Campus Coordinator at UCLA
Dr. Ross Fenimore
Fellowships and Financial Services
1228 Murphy Hall