If you are interested in traveling abroad for study or research in 2021-2022, plan to attend a Fulbright information session. There are two Fulbright programs available. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is for all graduating seniors and graduate students in all fields and is administered for the U.S. Department of State by the Institute of International Education (IIE). The next competition will be for the 2021-2022 cycle. The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Program enables doctoral candidates to conduct dissertation research in modern foreign languages and area studies, and is administered by the U.S. Department of Education (USEd). The next competition will be for the 2021-2022/23 cycle, pending funding availability.
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Information Sessions:
Thursday, January 14 – 10am to 11am
Wednesday, January 27 – 10am to 11am
Thursday, February 11 – 2pm to 3pm
Wednesday, February 27 – 12pm to 1pm
Thursday, March 11 – 10am to 11am
Wednesday, March 31 – 10am to 11am
Thursday, April 15 – 2pm to 3pm
Wednesday, April 28 – 12pm to 1pm
Thursday, May 13 – 10am to 11am
Wednesday, May 26 – 10am to 11am
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Interest Survey:
The current application cycle for FY2021 is now open. The research window for FY2021 proposals will be October 1, 2021 – March 31, 2023. Student must propose between 6 and 12 months of research. Read about UCLA’s success with the program in 2020 and in 2019.
Please complete this short online survey to indicate your interest in the program. The coordinator will follow-up with an email and place you on the application cycle email list.
The DoED will host a webchat to answer specific applicant questions at 2:00pm ET on Tuesday, March 2, 2021. Link will be sent via email and posted here when available.
Notice on COVID-19: The US Department of Education, in consultation with CDC guidance, has established protocols with Fulbright Commissions and US Embassies for a phased re-opening of DDRA research activity that began winter 2021. Current fellows were granted research period extensions.
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Writing Workshops:
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Application Webinar:
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Writing Workshop:
Fulbright U.S. Student
- must be a U.S. citizen at time of application
- hold a BA degree or equivalent before the award begins
- be in good health
- anyone who has resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six-year period preceding the national application deadline is NOT eligible
Application Opens: March 31
- Fulbright Application Portal is open for registration
Statement Deadline (optional): August 3 at 4:00 PM PT
Campus Interview Deadline: September 3 at 4:00 PM PT
- We strongly recommend applying through UCLA
- Submit your application on the Fulbright Application Portal and turn in the application checklist with the consent to publish form
- All application components must be submitted to be eligible for the campus interview
Campus Interviews- September 27 to October 1
- Campus interviews usually lasts around 20 minutes
- A campus committee evaluation form will be filled out for each student who participates in an interview
Final Campus Deadline: October 11 at 4:00 PM PT
- This is the last and final deadline for those who participated in the campus interviews
- You must submit your application one more time on the Fulbright Application Portal
National Deadline: October 12 at 5:00 PM ET
Helpful Resources and Links
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Application Checklist and Consent to Publish Form
- Both forms must be filled out and returned Graduate Division’s Fellowship and Financial Services by the campus deadline
- Either email to email@example.com or bring the forms to 1228 Murphy Hall by the campus deadline
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Application Tips
- General information and tips for each section in the Fulbright application
- Can only be viewed by the UCLA community
Fulbright U.S. Recommended Timeline
- Recommended timeline to help with the application process
Fulbright U.S. Student Program E-Application
Fulbright U.S. Student Program website
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Recent Awardee Profiles
You may request for access to view online samples or schedule an appointment to view the following samples at 1228 Murphy Hall:
- Project Proposals
- Personal Statements
- Affiliation letters
Fulbright U.S. Student Program Campus Coordinator at UCLA
Fellowships and Financial Services
1228 Murphy Hall
Fellowship Proposal Resources
Follow Us At
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Applicants
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at time of application
- be advanced to doctoral candidacy before your award begins, but you may apply prior to advancing
- be prepared to conduct dissertation research in modern languages and area studies; projects should deepen research knowledge on and help the nation develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in US curricula. Projects in the US and its territories will not be considered. Western Europe is possible, though only with connection to a country of another region.
- be proficient in the language(s) necessary to carry out your research
- planning a career in the U.S. upon completion of doctoral program in university teaching or a position related to the research
- there is a competitive preference for research projects conducted in the field of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, computer science, education (comparative or international), international development, political science, public health, or economics.
- there is a competitive preference for languages utilized that are not Spanish, French or German
- March 8, 2021 (11:59 PM Pacific): Draft Materials Deadline. March 29, 2021 (11:59 PM Pacific): Final Campus Deadline. The published final DoED deadline applies to the institution, NOT STUDENT APPLICANTS.
Fulbright-Hays Ineligible Countries
Fulbright-Hays Application Tips
General information and tips for each section in the Fulbright application. Can only be viewed by the UCLA community.
Fulbright-Hays G5 Application Submission Overview
Overview for starting the Fulbright-Hays application.
Fulbright-Hays Scoring Criteria Packet
Can only be viewed by the UCLA community.
Internal review by the UCLA Graduate Division is required for applicants to be nominated to the Department of Education for consideration. Students may not apply without Graduate Division endorsement. Revisions to materials, transcripts, language references, faculty references, and letters of affiliation must be submitted by the Final Campus Deadline or the application will be deemed ineligible and disqualified.
Please note that the e-application website is only available for limited periods. Please reference the maintenance schedule on the e-application website.
Fulbright-Hays Current Awardee Profiles
You may request access to online resources for:
- Project Descriptions
- Letters of Affiliation
Fulbright-Hays DDRA Campus Coordinator at UCLA
Dr. Ross Fenimore
Fellowships and Financial Services
1228 Murphy Hall