Graduate Education at UCLA
As one of the nation’s leading public universities, the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) is dedicated to creating an academic environment that celebrates the rich diversity of our campus and the communities we serve. Committed to teaching, research, and public service, our faculty are among the highest-ranked scholars in the world and have received international academic recognition. Six UCLA faculty members have been awarded Nobel Prizes, more than 300 have received Fulbright Scholarships, 3 are Pulitzer Prize winners, and over 270 have been awarded Guggenheim Fellowships. Graduate students work side-by-side with faculty in scholarly exploration that has built UCLA’s international reputation and legacy of preparing future leaders who make significant contributions in all areas of society.
Applying for Graduate Study at UCLA
UCLA offers graduate degrees in 121 programs. Almost every academic program is a subset of a department, which in turn is a subset of a school, institute, or division. Aspiring students to academic programs apply through a single application. See our Steps to Apply. At the beginning of the application you specify your program, then the application will customize questions, requirements, and requests for supplemental material for that specific program. For applicants to professional schools for JD, LLM, DDS, full-time MBA, FEMBA, and EMBA the application process is unique for each, and in general you apply through that program’s site: UCLA School of Dentistry, UCLA School of Law, Anderson School of Management, and David Geffen School of Medicine. You can direct further questions directly to the individual programs themselves.
The UCLA Graduate Division
The Graduate Division at UCLA is responsible for the overall quality and progress of graduate education at UCLA. The Graduate Division serves as the administrative core for graduate recruitment and admissions. Over the years between your Graduate Welcome Reception and the awarding of your degree, we will also participate in the milestones marking your individual academic progress and work to ensure that the education you receive here continually strives for the highest quality.
How To Find Us
Individual UCLA Graduate Programs are spread across campus, and each address is listed on their program page. Graduate Division offices are located on the first floor of Murphy Hall. Our walk-in hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday and our phone hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can find us in the northeast section of campus.
What We Do
Here is a list of Graduate Division offices and programs to help you find the services you need.
Office of the Vice Provost & Deans
1237 Murphy Hall
The Vice Provost for Graduate Education/Graduate Dean oversees the Division and is an ex officio member of the Graduate Council. The Dean and the Associate Deans provide academic leadership for program development, planning, and decision making in the Graduate Division. The deans are available for assistance if students cannot solve problems within their departments.
- Learn more about the Vice Provost and Graduate Deans
1255 Murphy Hall
Academic Services is responsible for advancing the academic life cycle of graduate education by providing the following services to current graduate students and visiting graduate researchers.
- Learn more about Graduate Studies for current students at UCLA
- Questions Academic Services can help current students with:
- Leave of Absence and Withdrawal
- Foreign Language Requirements
- Major/Classification Change
- Filing Fee
- Intercampus Exchange and Cross Enrollment Programs
- In-Absentia registration
- Master’s and Doctoral Committees
- Master’s and Doctoral Examination Requirements
- Master’s and Doctoral Advancement to Candidacy
- Thesis and Dissertation Filing
- Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
- Learn more about Visiting Graduate Researchers
Budget & Personnel
1237 Murphy Hall
Responsible for the financial management of all graduate division funds, as well as purchasing, accounts payable, and personnel transactions.
Diversity, Inclusion & Admissions
1237 Murphy Hall
Responsible for outreach, recruitment, and graduate admissions. The Diversity, Inclusion & Admissions (DIA) staff provides programs that support individuals currently underrepresented in graduate education. The office also coordinates summer research programs, institutional recruitment days, and workshops to promote graduate diversity, inclusion, and retention.
- Learn more about Graduate Admissions
- Learn more about Diversity in Admissions at UCLA
- Questions DIA can help you with:
- General information only
- Admission requirements
- TOEFL & IELTS Scores
- ESL requirements
- Fee waivers
- Tuition & living expenses
- GPA/GRE/Institutional requirements
- Academic records (U.S. & International)
- Online allocation troubleshooting
- Diversity general information
- Questions about online application are answered on our Admissions FAQs
- Direct specific questions to your Graduate Program
Fellowships & Financial Services
1228 Murphy Hall
Administer fellowship applications, award processing, and other financial processes and transactions.
- Learn more about Financial Support
- Learn more about Tax Information & Forms for UCLA Award Recipients
- Questions Fellowship Services can help you with
- University and extramural fellowships
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Education Support (GRAPES)
- Fellowship directories
- Questions Financial Services can help you with:
- Academic Apprentice Personnel Requirements and Fee Remissions
- Graduate Work-Study Program
- Fellowship Contracts (Offer of Graduate Student Support)
- Fellowship Payments
- Tuition, Nonresident Supplemental Tuition and Stipends
- TA Advance Loans
- TA/GSR Fee Deferral
Information Technology & Institutional Research
1252 Murphy Hall
Information Technology & Institutional Research staff develop, maintain, and support all Graduate Division computer systems and functions, provide business strategy expertise, develop communications and marketing materials for print and electronic devices, and provide institutional data, metrics, and analytics to internal and external stakeholders.
- Learn more about the Academic Program Statistics
- Learn more about the Graduate Programs Annual Report
- Learn more about the UCLA Graduate Programs Admissions and Enrollment Report
Operations & External Relations
1237 Murphy Hall
Operations & External Relations oversees the Graduate Division’s events and meeting production, facilities management, external relations, operational effectiveness and staff relations.
Postdoctoral Scholar Appointments and Services (PSAS)
1255 Murphy Hall
Postdoctoral Scholar Appointments and Services is responsible for the authorization and administration of all Postdoctoral Scholar appointments at UCLA, policy development and compliance, professional development training, and campus resource referrals.
- Learn more about Postdoctoral Scholars
- Questions PSAS can help Postdoctoral Scholars with:
- Appointments and Reappointments
- Postdoctoral Scholar Appointment Verifications
- Loan Deferments
- Postdoctoral Scholar Policy
- Professional Development
- President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- California Alliance (AGEP) Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Case Management
- Campus Resource Referrals