Funding for Entering Students

For applicants and entering students, student financial support funds at UCLA are provided to graduate students in the form of grants, awards, traineeships, teaching assistantships and graduate student researcher appointments. Support based solely on need is also provided, in the form of work-study and loans, through the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.

A student may receive both a departmental or Division of Graduate Education award in addition to an award based solely on financial need if the need-based criteria are met. However, the amount of a need-based award may change based on any other additional awards.

Doctoral Student Travel Grants for Conferences, Professional Development and Off-Campus Research (DTG): This program is to encourage eligible doctoral students to present their work and to network at conferences in their field, to support travel associated with off-campus research and to enable students to take advantage of off-campus professional development opportunities.

Each eligible new doctoral student is provided up to $1,000 total reimbursement that can be used, in whole or in part, at any time through the student’s seventh year in the doctoral program, as long as the student and the activities meet the eligibility requirements.  For more details, please see the relevant section in the Graduate Student Financial Support booklet.

You are strongly urged to apply in all funding categories for which you may qualify.

  • Awards, Scholarships & Grants
    Merit-based awards provide stipends in varying amounts and may include tuition and nonresident supplemental tuition. Awards are competitive and open to all graduate students.
  • Extramural Awards
    Merit-based support provided by national, international or private foundations. Many organizations accept applications up to a year before acceptance into a graduate program.
  • Teaching & Research Assistantships
    Teaching Assistantships provide experience in teaching undergraduates under faculty supervision. Graduate Student Researcher positions provide experience working on faculty-supervised research projects.
  • Financial Aid
    Funding based on financial need available only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Financial aid includes loans and work-study awards.