Privileges and Courtesies for Visiting Graduate Researchers

Access to Compensation

VGRs may only receive wages for on-campus activity directly related to their research objectives, as is permissible under campus and federal immigration policy.

VGRs are not eligible to teach or serve as readers at UCLA.


You will need a UCLA BruinCard for access to University privileges and facilities. The BruinCard can also function as a debit card for making purchases on and around campus.

Please work with your sponsoring department to obtain a BruinCard. The BruinCard will not be issued until your VGR appointment information has been submitted to UCPath for additional processing. The Graduate Division submits all approved VGR appointments to UCPath for processing and sends a report to the BruinCard Office of all VGRs who have received final approval. Please allow 2-3 business days from the time you receive the Final Approval email before contacting the BruinCard office to ensure that a sufficient amount of time has elapsed to account for UCPath processing. When your sponsoring department provides you with a copy of the BruinCard confirmation, you can visit the BruinCard Office located at 123 Kerckhoff Hall.

Note: Appointments of less than three months may not qualify for a BruinCard.

BOL Account

(With UID Only) The Bruin OnLine account will provide VGRs with email, web hosting services, network connectivity, and access to free software and support.

Library Access

VGRs will have access to UCLA licensed resources and databases available while using a workstation in a department or a public workstation in a library.  VGRs may borrow up to a maximum limit of five books at a time with one renewal per book.  VGRs do not not have inter-library loan privileges.  For VGRs without a BruinCard, they must visit the Young Research Library circulation desk to have a library card issued to them.

UCLA Housing

(With UID Only) VGRs are eligible to submit a housing application for the Weyburn Terrace and University Village Family building. VGRs are currently not eligible for the other University Apartments South mixed-use buildings. In order to receive a housing offer, VGRs must submit a housing application at the My Housing web page by selecting the “Single Graduate Housing Application” or “Family Housing Application” link, contingent on specific housing needs. For more information on UCLA housing terms and conditions for VGRs, please visit the Ask Housing website.

VGRs may also refer to the Community Housing Office for information on other local housing options.

UCLA Extension Courses (UNEX)

VGRs are not UCLA students. They are graduate students elsewhere who visit UCLA to receive research training and/or conduct research with UCLA faculty. As such, VGRs do not qualify to take UCLA courses directly. Instead, they may register for University Extension (UNEX) courses and/or for UCLA courses via concurrent UNEX enrollment only. Concurrent enrollment must be approved by the instructor.

If an individual would like to enroll in one or more UCLA courses directly (i.e., to have the work documented on a UCLA transcript), s/he should apply as a No Degree Objective (NDO) student. Applicants apply for NDO status via the existing graduate admissions system and meet UCLA and departmental entrance requirements. An NDO student is not eligible to be appointed concurrently as a Visiting Graduate Researcher.

For more information see the VGR Program comparison with No Degree Objective (NDO) graduate student status table.

UCLA Office of Ombuds Services

VGRs may visit the Office of Ombuds Services for assistance in resolving conflicts, disputes or complaints on an informal basis. Ombudspersons act as neutrals and are committed to confidentiality.


(With UID Only) UCLA Recreation has multiple facilities, hundreds of classes and fitness programs, intramural teams and club sports. Visiting Graduate Researchers are eligible to join as Student Affiliates for a fee.


(With UID Only) BruinGO! Transit Program allows you to ride on the Big Blue Bus and Culver City Bus lines. With a BruinCard and BOL account, you are eligible to apply online for Flash Pass.

A parking permit is a privilege at the discretion of the department.

Cross-Cultural Programs

Dashew Center programs provide opportunities for international students, scholars, faculty, staff and community members to develop their cross-cultural learning, adjust to life and culture at UCLA, in LA, and in the U.S., develop and practice languages, foster a sense of community and belonging at UCLA, and facilitate the building of friendships between people from around the world.

You will need to create a Dashew Center account in order to register for programs.