In order to be eligible to participate in 2016 Doctoral Hooding Ceremony you:
- Must have filed a doctoral dissertation approved by the Graduate Division during the Summer 2015, Fall 2015 or Winter 2016 term.
- Must file a doctoral dissertation approved by the Graduate Division during the Spring 2016 term on or before May 31, 2016 5 p.m. PST. For information on filing view file your doctoral dissertation.
Note: In order for students to have their names and titles included in the printed hooding ceremony program, filing must be completed by May 31, 2016. Submissions after that date are not guaranteed to make it into the printed hooding ceremony program.
Following successful filing of the dissertation, the graduate will receive an invitation and a link to RSVP to the ceremony and to request guest tickets. Graduates who filed in Summer 2015, Fall 2015 and Winter 2016 will receive invitations in April.
- Graduates can order up to four (4) guest tickets and request one (1) waitlist ticket. For more information on waitlist tickets please see below.
- Faculty do NOT need tickets. They are invited separately by the Graduate Division.
- Guest tickets will be issued by and can be picked up at the UCLA Central Ticket Office (CTO).
Ticket Mailing Option
- Guest tickets ordered (including waitlist tickets granted) by May 26, 2016 can be sent to domestic addresses only by U.S. mail.
- Any guest tickets (including waitlist tickets granted) ordered on or after May 27, 2016 will be held for pick up at the UCLA Central Ticket Office.
- When picking up guest tickets from CTO, expressly state that you are picking up tickets for the “Doctoral Hooding Ceremony.”
- You must present a valid student ID to pick up your guest tickets. You cannot send another representative to pick them up on your behalf.
- Through MyUCLA, you can request one (1) additional waitlist ticket for the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony during your designated ordering cycle. Waitlist tickets are not guaranteed.
- Waitlist tickets will be determined via lottery, based on the date in which you request your additional waitlist ticket.
- Waitlist ticket decisions will be posted on MyUCLA. If your waitlist ticket request has been granted, the status will be updated on MyUCLA. Before going to CTO, please check the status of your request on the designated waitlist ticket pick up start date.
“Day of Event” Timeline
1:30 p.m. Graduates check-in on Royce Quad.
Graduate faculty reception & robing on the West Terrace of Royce Hall.
Light appetizers and beverages will be served at the reception. Family members and friends may not accompany the graduates to the reception and robing area in Royce Hall.
2:00 p.m. Doors open in the auditorium for guest seating.
2:40 p.m. Processional line-up begins. The official party will lead followed
by the faculty and graduate processionals
3:00 p.m. Hooding ceremony begins. The anticipated duration is 2 hours.
5:00 p.m. Post-ceremony champagne reception outside in Royce Quad.
Grey/Pink Reader Cards
A grey or pink reader card will be provided to you when you check in at the ceremony. It will not only serve as your admission to the ceremony, but it will also be used to announce your name as you come forward to be hooded. Should you have a difficult name to pronounce, please print the phonetic pronunciation of your name where indicated.
Graduates are responsible for renting/purchasing their own cap, gown and hood and bringing them to the ceremony. Ordering can be completed online through Graduation, Et Cetera. Questions should be directed to Graduation, Et Cetera (A Level of Ackerman Union, 310- 825-2587).
Because it has a tendency to get very warm in the auditorium, please wear lightweight clothing underneath your regalia.
Following the event, you may return your rented regalia to the collection tables outside Royce Hall. Caps, gowns and hoods may be kept if you are participating in a separate ceremony during commencement weekend. The absolute deadline for regalia returns without penalty to Graduation Etc is June 17, 2016.
Graduates will be photographed by GradImages as they are being hooded during the ceremony. Graduates may purchase prints following the event and will be contacted directly by GradImages. GradImages will offer graduates a $5 discount on any photo order over $25 when graduates register their email addresses with them prior to graduation.
Visit Graduation, Et Cetera to purchase graduation announcements.
Formal or candid portraits can be scheduled at the Campus Photo Studio on the A-level of Ackerman Union. Sittings may be arranged in person or by calling 310-206-8433. Academic attire will be furnished without charge for use in the Campus Photo Studio. Portrait prices vary according to individual needs.
- Graduates Please leave valuables, purses, and backpacks with family members/guests, as there is no place to store or secure them during the procession and ceremony.
- The Processional: Candidates will be led into the auditorium by two pre-selected student marshals. Professional graduates (Ed.D., D. Env., D.M.A. and Dr. PH) should line up at the end of the procession so the last reader can correctly identify their degrees.
- Faculty participants will be seated on stage behind the official party. Once the presentation and hooding commences, chairs, co-chairs and members of a dissertation committee will be instructed to stand when their respective candidate(s) cross(es) the stage to be hooded.
- Hooding: At the appropriate time, graduates will be directed by event staff to stand by row and proceed to the left side of the stage. You will hand your pink or yellow card to an event staff person at the top of the stairs who will then hand it to the faculty reader at the podium. The event staff person will cue you to proceed across the stage to be hooded.
- Due to the high number of graduates and time constraints, only pre-designated faculty hooding marshals will hood the candidates rather than individual dissertation committee members.
- After being hooded you will receive a certificate of participation* from the Vice Provost/Dean and shake hands with the Chancellor. A photographer will stop you as you leave the stage to take an official photograph before you return to your original seat.
- *NOTE: It is not possible to present personalized diplomas at the ceremony. Thus, each graduate will be presented with a certificate of participation.
- Recessional: The official party, led by the Chancellor, will file out of the auditorium first, followed by the faculty, and then by the graduates who will be led by the two student marshals.
How to Wear Your Cap and Carry Your Hood
Instructions on How to Wear Your Cap and Carry Your Hood.